In 1948 nine tenacious charter architects broke off from the Southern California Chapter of AIA to became incorporated and subsequently granted a charter at the 80th AIA National Convention in Salt Lake City on June 25, 1948. World War II had been over for three years and Southern California was a place of exuberance, expansion and what seemed to be limitless possibilities. The first "freeway" in the country, The Pasadena, was nearly complete and sleepy towns amid fragrant orange groves were resounding to the echo of hammers, saws and an accelerated communal heartbeat. The population was burgeoning and the architects and builders of Southern California were responding to an unprecedented building boom.
With a proclaimed focus on service and the goal of "handling problems in zoning, civic buildings [and] schools" the Chapter began its existence. Over the next 70 years this Chapter has consistently honored these early goals by continuing to:
College of Fellows (COF)
The College of Fellows (COF) of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) , founded in 1952, is composed of members of the Institute who are elected to Fellowship by a jury of their peers. Fellowship is one of the highest honors the AIA can bestow upon a member. Elevation to Fellowship not only recognizes the achievements of the architect as an individual but also elevates before the public and the profession those architects who have made significant contributions to architecture and to society.